Pulling on Superman's Cape

The four labels that define me best are: mother, teacher, lesbian-feminist and Orthodox Jew. My life has always been about breaking through the constraints of labels and definitions. You will find much here to challenge all of your preconceptions of what those labels mean.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Why "Pulling on Superman's Cape"

Why "Pulling on Superman's Cape"?


In the 1972 Jim Croce song, "You don't Mess Around with Jim", the singer tells Slim:

You don't pull on Superman's cape
You don't spit in the wind
You don't pull the mask from the Ol' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim

It is sort of a metaphor for not fighting city hall. In the song Slim does not heed the advice of the singer, he does "mess" with Jim and in the end Slim gets what he came for.

I don't plan on leaving this mortal coil until I get what I came for. Hang on, it is going to be one long, strange trip (drugs not included).

1 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Welcome to the (Judeo)Blogosphere!

I had a dorm-neighbor one year in college who called me "SuperJew", since i was probably the first (orthodox? observant?) jew he ever met.

One day i had the song "Kryptonite" stuck in my head (it had come out relatively recently), and i asked him: "If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?"

His response was: "Hell yeah! That would be soooo cool, if you went psycho and started wasting everybody!..." :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home